Friday, October 24, 2008

DRK Presents: The Videos -- Volume III

Oh, happy day -- The Videos is back! Out of commission for a few weeks now, it's been a semi-long time coming for the next installment. The last one was done by I, and it is yet again being undertaken by myself. Hope you enjoy.

1. Grounds For Divorce - Elbow

I dont know about you, but the the bass and grooving underbelly sound of the guitar made in this song is an amazing hook and bar-none, one of the most intoxicating sounds I've ever come across in any piece of music. In just 3-1/2 minutes of work, Elbow manages to capture your attention for the remainder of the album, The Seldom Seen Kid.



2. Silent Scream - Slayer

Like the album, Chaos A.D. of which I featured yesterday in here, the album South of Heaven is another metal record I'm addicted to lately. The way the two-opening tracks mesh together and start the album off is what made Headbanger's Ball a necessity -- you just couldnt waste such music by not putting it on TV. This live performance is a recent one, and pretty good considering the fact that Tom Araya looks like a coked up caveman and sounds like one too at this point in his life and career as a musician.



3. Strugglin' - K'naan

I caught wind of K'naan's album The Dusty Foot Philosopher a few weeks ago, and I must say I enjoyed it, even for a guy who's all about rock n' roll from the 60's to somewhat today. His vocals sound a bit strange, but so do Phil Anselmo's, so it works out for me in the end.



4. Wax Simulacra - The Mars Volta

Holy sweet Jesus, these guys are flawless live. Oh how I wish I could see a concert by them. This is a performance off Letterman from back in January, which at the time was in celebration of their fourth album, The Bedlam in Goliath. (I loved it when the TBS crew quoted it by saying "There's bedlam in Beantown, tonight!" after the result of Game 5; or maybe they werent, who knows) There's a fellow writer on this staff that is entirely obsessed with these guys, and I hope he'll make an appearance soon. I assure you, though, if he doesnt, his buddy will.



5. School - Supertramp

Strange name, awesome band. The album, Crime of the Century, has gotta be one of my favorite albums, despite the fact that I rarely listen to it. It's sad how underated and under-talked about this band is. Phenomenal performance here.



All done. Time to wash your palate.

2 comments:

Chrono said...

The Elbow was pretty good. I didn't listen to much else. I've heard "School," and I'm not that interested in Slayer, K'naan, and The Mars Volta.

Robert Langellier said...

Wow. Good job. I couldn't even tell if it was Cole or Mac who wrote this.

The perfect grammar should have given it away.