Thursday, December 4, 2008

Sound of Karma III

Sigh. I'm doing this to avoid personal failure to complete a goal. Part 3 of the 3 part boy/girl indie vocal duet Sound of Karmas!


1. Great Northern - Home

Great Northern is my 3rd favorite in my personal list of boy/girl indie bands, preceding Lydia and Stars. Hm, I guess one-word band names are just superior. Anyway, while Great Northern doesn't feature vocal trade-offs as perfect as Stars or Lydia, they could arguably be the most soothing, with their bell/synth/ringing guitar work. "Home" is their best selling and most attractive single.

2. Bright Eyes - We Are Nowhere and It's Now

Don't worry, guys. I wouldn't dare make a Sound of Karma blog without throwing in some Conor Oberst for you. In his album I'm Wide Awake It's Morning, Conor brilliantly invited the vocals of the ageless Emmylou Harris. Wow, what a difference it made. Probably the best example of her giving the gift of her voice to the world is in this track, "We Are Nowhere and It's Now".

3. Broken Social Scene - 7/4 (Shoreline)

I've never been a huge fan of Broken Social Scene, or even gotten into them at all. But hey, they feature both of the singers from Stars, as well as the famous Feist (you know, the one from the iTunes commercials). This song is...well, I know about as much about it as you do. It is pretty sweet, though.

4. Damien Rice - 9 Crimes

WATCH THIS! God, this song is so good. So eerie, so wonderful. Nomar kindly introduced me to it, and he remains the sole keeper of eternal love for this song, but it has drawn many followers, including myself and I believe Super Squirrel or Cincy or someone. LISTEN. LOVE. LOVE SOME MORE.

5. Mates of State - Ha Ha

A lot of magazines/webzines/people who are kind of important to some people are putting Mates of State's new album at the top of the 2008 list. Why? I don't know. Seems kind of like regular folk to me. But oh well, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, since I've never heard the album. Anyway, this is a cool song by them that features the husband/wife duo passing the mic back and forth.

DONE! Yee-haw!

No comments: